Friday, September 16, 2005

cloning hard disk to new, bigger ones...

Fixed font - Proportional font

cloning hard disk to new, bigger ones...

Subject: cloning hard disk to new, bigger ones...

I'm using g4u (basically a clever script which the heart is dd) to clone old
hard disks containing Interactive Unix (sigh) to new, bigger one.

My question is : because the geometry of the disk differs, at least for the
cylinder count, I feel that I should adjust some parameters to reflect the
disk change. The free size is not an issue, but I would like to do things as
best as possible...

I suspect I should modify the Partitions file, but how ? Is it possible to
use sysadmin to do that ?

Thanks

Matthieu

Reply

> I'm using g4u (basically a clever script which the heart is dd) to clone old
> hard disks containing Interactive Unix (sigh) to new, bigger one.

> My question is : because the geometry of the disk differs, at least for the
> cylinder count, I feel that I should adjust some parameters to reflect the
> disk change. The free size is not an issue, but I would like to do things as
> best as possible...

> I suspect I should modify the Partitions file, but how ? Is it possible to
> use sysadmin to do that ?

classic method is with tar. boot up into single-user-mode, then
initialize the new disk with your partitions. Then for each partition
you want to move over, mount it (say in /mnt), and do something like this:

# cd /mnt
# tar cf - /var | tar xfpB -

That would have moved your var onto the new partition.

After you've moved everything over, don't forget to make the new disk
bootable. On Solaris, there is a command would be 'installboot',
hopefuly IU had something similar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home