Friday, October 14, 2005

/var fills when using pkgadd... query

/var fills when using pkgadd... query

soplaris 8 on a sparc 20 (!)

i have a psarc 20 that will do a very nice job for me - I just need to
install samba on it. It has a 1 Gb disk that is carved up (historical
installation).
When I attempt to install the samba package it fails becaus ethe fairly
small /var partition fills.

I added a 4 Gb disk I had jandy and created a 4gb parttion (/data) to
play with... I have shelved off varuious areas of /var to /data to
leave more sopace in /var but even this doesn't solve the matter.

So - the crux of my query. Although samba is being installed into a
completely seperate parttion to /var, what is it in /var that is
filling (ie being used?). I've hived off /var/spool/pkg to /data
utilising a soft link, but that doesn't solve it.

So

1) what is being used in /var anyway

2) is there anything I can do with my pkgadd to avoid use of /var at
all? (-R doesn;t solve it for instance...)

> 1) what is being used in /var anyway

/var/tmp

> 2) is there anything I can do with my pkgadd to avoid use of /var at
> all? (-R doesn;t solve it for instance...)

set $TMPDIR to a location where you have an adequate amount of space.

See pkgadd(1M), 2d paragraph under DESCRIPTION.

Reply


>utilising a soft link, but that doesn't solve it.

/var/sadm

Casper

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home